Focus area: Building a low-carbon, climate resilient future (LC)
The specific challenge of this topic is to develop innovative EGNSS based applications. These should lead to low emission (CO2 and air pollutants), safer, more secure, lower cost and higher performance mobility, and transport solutions that respond to the increased mobility needs of people and goods whilst improving transport service continuity.
Proposals may be submitted in any of the transport areas or propose a multi-mode approach:
- Aviation: EGNSS solutions for modernising and improving air operations and traffic management technologies, addressing Communication, Navigation and Surveillance applications, including unmanned vehicles (e.g. GNSS based PBN and GBAS Cat II/III operations, advanced operations for approach and landing, surveillance and integrated information management, autonomous air vehicles such as Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems (RPAS) and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV).
- Road: EGNSS solutions that reduce traffic, optimise fuel consumption and emissions, fostering cheaper, smarter, safer and greener transportation (e.g. automated and driverless cars, connected cars). EGNSS solutions in policy driven applications (e.g. digital tachograph, eCall), as well as innovative tolling services and leveraging Intelligent Transport Systems.
- Maritime: EGNSS solutions that reduce emissions in shipping and increase efficiency, safety, and resilience (e.g. with reference to vessels navigation, traffic management, port operations, autonomous vessels).
- Rail: EGNSS for cheaper, smarter, higher performance, safer and emission-efficient solutions (e.g. train signalling and control, contributing to the European Rail Traffic Management System, asset management, passenger and crew services, autonomous trains).
- Public Transport: EGNSS for managing the public transport fleet in order to enhance the quality of public transportation reduce operational costs reduce traffic and provide savings in time and fuel.
Proposals should be built on the exploitation of the distinguishing features of EGNOS and Galileo, e.g.:
- Multiple-frequencies E1, E5 and E6;
- Galileo specific signal modulation, e.g. AltBOC;
- Galileo Search and Rescue Service;
- Galileo High Accuracy service that will be offered free of charge and Authentication features that will be provided by Galileo, i.e. in the frame of the Open Service authentication (OS NMA);
- Accurate absolute and authenticated time synchronization.
Actions should deliver new innovative applications, with commercial impact and a clear market uptake perspective (a Business Plan is required as part of the proposal). EGNSS should be part and parcel of the envisaged solution(s). However, where a combination of EGNSS with other technologies, such as Earth observation satellite communication or other sensors is required to make the application(s) work, this can be included in the scope.
For proposals under this topic:
- Participation of industry, in particular SMEs, is encouraged;
- Involvement of post-graduate researchers (engineers, scientists, and others) is also encouraged, for example through professional work experience or through fellowships/scholarships when applicable;
- A Business Plan and evidence of user engagement shall be compulsory and shall be provided as part of the proposal, to demonstrate the user need and sustainability of the project.
Proposals addressing PRS (Public Regulated Service) related applications are not in the scope of this action.
The Commission considers that proposals requesting a contribution from the EU of between EUR 1 and 3 million would allow this specific challenge to be addressed appropriately. Nonetheless, this does not preclude submission and selection of proposals requesting other amounts.
This topic contributes to the Horizon 2020 focus area “Building a low-carbon, climate resilient future”.
- Foster the EGNSS market uptake in transport. It should build on specific features and differentiators of Galileo and EGNOS, demonstrating the advantage of their use in smart and green mobility.
- Contribute to the resource efficient, climate and environmental friendly transport that will be also safe and seamless for the benefit of all citizens, the economy and society.
- Encourage market take-up, taking into account infrastructure and regulatory requirements, coordination of multiple actors and projects.
- Commercialise the products and services developed.
Dateline for submission: 5 March 2019 17:00:00 Brussels time
Source: European Commission
Iris will provide a safe and secure text-based data link between pilots and air traffic control (ATC) networks using satellite technology. The programme is developed under a public-private partnership between ESA and Inmarsat, and will help relieve pressure on the aviation sector’s congested radio frequency communication channels. It will so as part of the European Commission’s Single European Sky ATM Research (SESAR) masterplan to modernise Europe’s air traffic management. (Credit:ESA)
We love ❤️ Earth | We love ❤️ Mars | We love ❤️ Space
We love Earth | We love Mars | We love Space
NASA Announces Landing Site for Mars 2020 Rover
Journey to Mars / Exploration Zones
BE A MARTIAN! Living and Working on Mars!
I don’t think people realise how historically relevant this is. We are hearing wind in another planet for the first time ever! Awesome, I never thought I’d live to hear noise from another planet. I hope we will land there one day. We take this stuff for granted, but now we are listening to the wind on Mars which is nearly 34 million miles away.
We love ❤️ Earth | We love ❤️ Mars | We love ❤️ Space
Save the Planet Earth! Innovations & Future Technology
Specific Challenge – EU Call for Proposals: Advanced research in Near Earth Objects (NEOs) and new payload technologies for planetary defence
Future Cities – Projects Around the World
FUTURE TECHNOLOGIES…. 2025 Coming next the robot marketing and 3D Internet, hologram shops, robots, cyborgs, responsive tech and wacky self-moulding objects, etc. after the AI….2050.…2100.…
Business Development – Innovations & Future Technology
THE FUTURE HAS ARRIVED — Le futur est arrivé — El futuro ha llegado — Die Zukunft ist angekommen
/// We are ready — Nous sommes prêt — Estamos listos — Wir sind bereit ///
EU Call for Proposals: Space hubs (support to startups)
Follow us on:
再見 * Goodbye * Adiós * Au revoir * Adeus * Auf Wiedersehen * До свидания * Arrivederci * さようなら * Güle güle * Selamat tinggal * नमस्ते * Totsiens * Αντίο * معالسلامة * Tot ziens * Adiaŭ * Kwaheri * Do widzenia * Viszontlátásra *
[…] Call for proposals: EGNSS applications fostering green, safe and smart mobility […]